Instrument Access and Guidelines
The service laboratory is run according to the policies set forth by the federal CLIA standards to provide high data integrity and to maintain appropriate safeguards for patient confidentiality.
BCL staffs offer support in automated DNA sequencing, DNA fragment analysis, custom oligonucleotide synthesis, robotics station, and pyrosequencing. In addition to technical support, our staff is devoted to researching new chemistry and novel technologies and updating the quality of services offered. Consultations on project design for hypothesis-based research and for the development of new molecular diagnostics tools are ongoing.
Interested individuals should set up an appointment by contacting the laboratory director Dr. Katia Sol-Church via phone (302-651-6705) or email (using the Contact Us page.)
Access to the following shared instruments is limited to individuals who have received training by the Core Lab.
- ABI 7900 Real-Time PCR System: Once you have been trained you can sign up to schedule your real time PCR run. The sign up sheet is located on the instrument in the Core Lab.
- Agilent 2100 Bioanalyzer: Once you have been trained you can sign up for a time slot on the sheet above the bioanalyzer. Please note that this instrument runs on the same computer as the Nanodrop and that both instruments cannot be run at the same time. Preference will be given to Bioanalyzer users.
- Biotage PSQ 96MA Pyrosequencer: Following the manufacturer's guidelines, the researcher will set up and perform the initial PCR reaction. The Core will provide the vacuum tool, which must be used in Room 214 of Rockland Center One. Please sign up for the machine and coordinate the use of the vacuum tool and lab bench space to set-up the pyrosequencing reaction at least one day in advance.
- Biomek 2000: For best result when using established protocols, you must select designated tubes and pipette tips in accordance with the program sub-routine. Once trained on this instrument, please contact the core staff for availability.
Access to the following instruments does not require training by the core lab staff. However, users who require assistance will receive demonstration upon request.
- Nanodrop ND-1000 Spectrophotometer: This instrument is run on a first-come first-serve basis. It is located in the Biomolecular Core lab in Room 214 of Rockland Center One. Please note that this instrument runs on the same computer as the Bioanalyzer and you cannot run both at the same time. Preference will be given to Bioanalyzer users.
- Stratagene Robocycler Gradient 96: The Robocycler is located in the BCL Core lab in Room 214 of Rockland Center One. There is a sign up sheet above the instrument.
- PE/ABI GeneAmp PCR System Thermocyclers (9600, 9700 and 2400): The Thermocyclers are located in the BCL Core lab Room 214 of Rockland Center One. There is a sign up sheet above each instrument.
The following instruments are solely operated by trained Biomolecular Core Staff.
- ABI 3130 xl Genetic Analyzer: This instrument is used to process both sequencing and fragment analysis samples. Please call or email the Core before 11:00 AM the day you will submit your samples. Sample turn around time is typically in 24-48 hours.
- ABI 310 Genetic Analyzer: The BCL staff process fragment analysis samples on this instrument. Please call or email the Core 24 hours in advance before you want your samples to be processed. Sample turn around time is typically in 24-48 hours.